I had the best words of wisdom from one of my patients this week. I asked her “What’s the secret to living until you’re 95?” To which she responded “Well sugar, it’s different for everyone, but for me, I just try and do my best everyday. I treat others how I wanted to be treated and it’s gotten me this far.” Heart melted. I hope I have some wisdom to impart to the young folk if I live that long. Also, another patient has been calling me sweet potato. Thanks?
We had this soup on a particularly ornery winter day and it made everything better. Throwing everything into a pot is the best kind of recipe. I piled mine high with cheese, sour cream, some hot sauce, lots of chips and called it a day.
Recipe for Chicken Tortilla Soup
What you need:
- 1 rotisserie chicken
- 1 14 oz can chicken broth
- 1 24 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 1 11 oz can red enchilada sauce
- 1 4 oz can chopped green chilies
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried cilantro leaves
- 1 heaping teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 cups frozen corn
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- Toppings: tortilla chips, sour cream, shredded cheese, cilantro, avocado, salsa, whatever you can dream up!
What to do:
- Combine all the ingredients except the toppings along with 1.5 cups water in a large stock pot. Place over medium high heat and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium and simmer for at least 30 minutes. Ladle into bowls and pile on the toppings!